Photobucket

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Anne

Photobucket
My friend Anne passed away last Saturday after fighting a hard battle against cancer. This is a picture of her and her three lovely daughters. I was lucky to be able to get to know Anne for four of the years we lived in Cleveland. She made such an impression on me then and has left such an impression on me in recent months.

In Cleveland I remember watching her as a mother and thinking-I want to be a mother like her. I remember the first time I heard her bear her testimony in church and thinking how amazing she was and how much faith she had and how strong her testimony was. When ever I was with her I wanted to be a better person, a better mother and a better wife. For one who struggles to find the right words sometimes, the only way I can think of to describe Anne would be...PURE.

Being able to follow her blog this last year I continued to learn from her. At her funeral today someone had said of her that she handled her trials perfectly, she grew in faith instead of growing bitter. That person was right, Anne trusted in the Lord and she didn't ask 'Why', she asked 'What can I do?'. She really knew that Heavenly Father had, or still has a plan for her.

The spirit was so strong at the service today and I am renewed. I will never forget my experience there today. I am so grateful I was able to attend this service and to see what a strong little family Ward and Anne have. Even though Anne is no longer here on this earth, she is continuing to serve the Lord. And she is still an example to me. I am so grateful for being able to know Anne even if it was for a short time. I am so grateful for the gospel and for Eternal Families. I will hold on to my little angels a little tighter today and tomorrow.

I pray for Ward and the girls, but I know that because of their faith and trust in the Lord that they will make it through this trial. Thank you SO much Anne for your impact on me!

11 comments:

Holly said...

Oh Laurie- I've been hoping someone would post about the funeral...I was sick to not be there.

Will you email me and tell me about it more?

Rebecca said...

Laurie, thanks for posting about the funeral. I remember Anne as very PURE as well. If you're going to email Holly about the funeral, please pass it along to me as well. I have cried over Anne's passing the past couple of days and I'm sad for their family. I know Anne knew the Lord's will, but what a hard trial for her, for Ward, and for their girls.

Sarajane said...

I too will never forget the spirit of the day. Her light and love of the gospel and family will always stay with me.

I saw you from a distance and your cute little baby girl.

Sydney said...

Oh, I was trying to make it up there for the funeral but couldn't figure it all out with school and driving time. So glad that you went and posted about it. Anne will be missed. She was as sweet as she was beautiful.

Jen I said...

That's really powerful. Sounds like a wonderful person.

Corey said...

Laurie, I wish I knew you were there. We would have loved to see you. Kristie and I drove up from Idaho Falls and brought Natalie Burtenshaw with us. I just told my office staff all about Anne and the funeral. I said that usually you go to a funeral for closure, but this one opened up things instead. I can't shake the feeling of eternity, and I keep wanting to tell all my friends how much they mean to me. Anyone who would read this that knows the Christensens, you are one of those friends. We love you.

Andrea said...

Thanks Laurie, I really needed this. It is so amazing how much one person can affect you in such little time. When I think of my first year of school I think of Anne and Shelley. And then of course you and Kristel. I love you guys. And cherish our time togther. We have some great laughs and memories. Miss you too.

DIY Daily Darling! said...

Thanks for sharing that Laurie, I love to hear of great people,however I am saddened to hear of why you were posting of her. Those sweet girls loosing their mother so young. I hope they are old enough to remember her she sounds wonderful.

Dr. Milton said...

Laurie,
Thanks for this post. We never met Anne, but God has used her testimony through your blog to wake us up. She has just affected one more family in Cleveland, OH.
Sincerely,
The Ntragatakis

Halls Family said...

Laurie, thank you for sharing. I wish David and I could have been at the services. What an amazing family to be surrounded by. I loved reading Anne's posts and have continued to be impacted by her words, just as she impacted me while we were friends and neighbors in Little Italy. She will be so missed by all of us! I hope you sent love from all of their friends from the East Cleveland Branch!
Love, Cherilyn

Sarah Buma said...

I think of her almost every day. I look at life differently because of Anne.