Photobucket

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mr. Independent

Photobucket
Coleman is known around here for being very contrary and very independent. I know that he is three and that's what comes with 3, but I know Coleman is more independent than most, and he is not afraid of anything. Sometimes I think it is great that he likes to do things for himself, but most times it puts us in some interesting situations.

Like the time Brandon filled up our wheel barrel with water to find the hole in one of our van tires that kept going flat. After checking the tire, he forgot to dump out the water and left it in the backyard. Later, I went in the backyard and this is what I found-
Photobucket

Coleman had stripped down and climbed right in. I always wonder what my back door neighbors think, they never talk to us when we are outside. I am sure they think we are weird. I will just say that wasn't the first time Coleman had been out there naked.

Or last month when we were at Lava Hot Springs in the pool and Coleman asked me if he could go on the water slide as he pointed to it. "Sure, go get in line and I will catch you," I say. He swims off and when he exits the pool he takes off running, he passes the slide I expected him to go to and keeps running. I then realize he was pointing to the LARGE slide in the distance. So I hurry out of the pool, pass off Paige to my sister and take after him. (Can I tell you how fun it is to run in a swimsuit post baby?! But I did it anyway for my crazy man). As I get to the bottom of the towering stair case, I can see Coleman pushing and butting his way past everybody and nearing the top. I run faster up the staircase. It is too late. He jumps right on the slide (that he isn't even tall enough for) and goes down without waiting for the guy to tell him to go. Agh!!! So now I have to run back down the stairs (in my swimsuit) to meet him at the bottom. I meet him there and I just see him beaming!! "That was FUN mom!" I couldn't help but smile when I saw him despite my frustration.
This isn't the picture that time, but it is a slide he went on, just later that day. I just wanted you to see how happy those slides made him.
Photobucket

Or another time when we were at Dylan's Restaurant a few weeks ago eating dinner. I looked over and realized that Coleman (who was sitting right next to me three seconds ago) was gone. After checking several places, I decided to check the bathroom. There was Coleman sitting on the toilet in a one stall bathroom (luckily he had chosen the women's and hadn't locked the door). "Oh, hi Mom," he says. "What are you doing Coleman, I have been looking ALL over for you?" was my reply. "Gooooing Poooootty!" he said back with a tone insinuating I should have known.

Or the time a few weeks ago when I heard someone at my family reunion yell-"Whose kid is that?" I perked up with that question, knowing it was most likely one of mine doing something weird. I see Coleman standing 10 ft. from the picnic tables (where 30+ people were eating lunch) with his pants down, peeing on the grass. "Coleman honey, you can't pee out here where everybody can see you!" I quickly pull up his pants. He only replies with, "I just had to go potty mom." very matter- of-factly. Thankfully my Mom's side has a great sense of humor. My Aunt actually snapped a picture of him in the act. Wish I had it to post here.
(The more I am thinking about this, I don't know why a lot of these times usually involve going to the bathroom. He's just likes to make things easy I guess.)

But, my little Mr. Independent came into my room this morning with his room lighting smile and said, "I made my bed mom, all by myself!" I went to his room and this is what I found...
Photobucket
And he did a GREAT job too! I guess maybe there might be a few rewards instead of frustrations coming from his independence as he gets older. I sure hope so, he is wearing me out!

13 comments:

Jen I said...

Yeah, it wears me out just hearing about him! I will cross my fingers that the twins won't be quite that independent, but they worry me!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

He is a character! It is a good thing he is so cute and has a charming smile. It will get him out of a lot when he is older!

Rebecca said...

So funny. Jacob's quite independent too. Once in our old house, he said he needed to pee and took off out the front door, had his pants down faster than I could run and peed right on the front lawn! Then there are times he tells me he can't pull his own pants down...but I KNOW better! BTW, where did you get his bedroom furniture? I've been looking all over for stuff for Jacob but haven't found anything I like.

Rochelle said...

As crazy as he sounds... he is equally adorable!

Will you come makeover our home? I just love your design skills.

Unknown said...

Rebecca- This is an old bed I took out of my parents garage. I just painted it dark blue. I also got my little night stand and dresser out of my parents garage. I took the little drawer out of the night stand and am using it as a little book case.
I have looked at bedroom furniture at JC Penny's before. I love the different styles they have (kind of like Pottery Barn), and they are reasonably priced. The reviews always look good. You should there.

Amy said...

Those stories are hillarious Laurie! What an entertaining kid!! It would be hard to get mad at him with a smile like his :) Alex would love his bed spread! I'm amazed at what a great job he did making that bed!

carol said...

That's my boy! Wish I had been a Lava.

Rebecca said...

Laurie, maybe I should just come and use whatever's left in your parent's garage!!! It looks great. And way to go Coleman making that bed...come and teach Jacob :)

Andrea said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Tara said...

What a kid! He is such a handful and then he flashed that smile and he can get away with anything. He definitely keeps us entertained. :) He did do a great job on the bed!

DIY Daily Darling! said...

I have one of those kids too. In fact my 2 younger kids are like that. I'll have to post some recent stuff. They have even gotten a friend or two thinking it is ok to pee in our back yard, oh the embarrassment. It is a surprise to me to see them in their clothes, which is a rare sight. I usually write things they do or say on a callendar, but I have been so bad this past year and not been doing that so a lot of them has been lost for me not doing that. I need to be better again. Thanks for sharing the fun moments kids bring us.

Michelle said...

What is it with 3 year olds, or is it just #3 or is it 3 years old + 3rd kid + boy = a whole lot of energy. Thanks for the pics!

LuAnn said...

I keep thinking about this post and I wanted to tell you that part of me is always jealous of mom's with these types of kids. They are so entertaining. At times I have thought mine are boring...and kind of chicken (Simon)...scared of everything. But, of course, irresistibly cute if you ask me.